Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cardinal

cardinal
This shot was made in low light.  I used ISO 3200 which was the highest available on the camera.  Lots of noise!  I was able to get it focused to at least an acceptable level.  I have been observing the cardinals eating the rose hips from the multiflora rose plants lately as was this one.  This is not the greatest shot for the reasons already mentioned plus the right side is blurred by something out of focus, but it does have a few redeeming qualities.  It is a good pose with the highlight in the eye sharp.  The crest is partially raised.  I would have preferred it to be entirely raised.  The limb running from lower left to upper right adds a dynamic dimension.  I decided the image was worth some "playing".

Cardinal
I felt that noise reduction might diminish sharpness so I decided to add a cover up for the noise.  I tried different artistic filters in photoshop.  My main goal being to find one I liked without reducing the visibility of of the eye highlight.  The one I settled on was "paint daubs."  I liked "palette knife" but it reduced the highlight because the effect was too course. 

Cardinal
    I even made a vertical crop.  It eliminated some of the distracting elements.  I can see it on someone's wall.  What is your opinion?

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: