Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Deep DOF

Multiflora Rose
They call them rose hips.  They reportedly contain lots of vitamin C.  I hear that people sometimes use them in tea. 

I saw some with interesting light and a background I liked the other morning.  The dew had been heavy as you can see.  I immediately made this shot.  After making it, I began to analyze the problem before me.  The specular highlights off the water droplets were extreme but if they are not too large we can sometimes live with them being over exposed.  

It was a small scene and I was using a Sigma 105 mm macro lens.  DOF (depth of field) is limited in macro photography.  I decided to shoot a series to be processed in Helicon Focus software later.  While I was at it, I decided to also shot a series to be processed in Photomatix Pro software.  I focused on the furthest berry that I wanted in focus and shot four exposures at ec (exposure compensation) -4, -2, 0, +2.  I then refocused on the middle berry that I wanted in focus and did the same thing.  I then focused on the closest berry and shot four more.

Multiflora Rose
I like the effect of having the entire subject sharp along with a softly focused background.  If you compare the two shots you will notice that I also removed some components which I consider distracting.  

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog 


feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: