Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A new technique (for me) in shooting the American Goldfinch.

American Goldfinch
I thought of this the other day and tried it.  I used it this morning to capture these images.  It goes like this:   
Get setup far enough from the bird so that you do not stress it.  I use my camera on a monopod to support and steady the telephoto lens.  I take a few shots, and move up.  The way I move up does not frighten the bird.  I keep my face behind the camera trying to watch the bird through the view finder as I move.  I lift the camera just enough that I can drag the monopod along.  That is not much lifting.  If I lift it too high, I find that the bird will fly.  I move up a little and take a few more shots.  I move up a little more and take a few more.  I think that the key here is work your way up without frightening the bird.

American Goldfinch
As you can see, I was able to get close enough for a nice shot.  The bird can be aware of my presence but seem to stay comfortable as long as something is between them and me.

http://www.larrysimages.com/

Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: