Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mysterious Caterpillar

Lunata Zale Caterpillar
One morning, recently, I finished my walk at Gorman Nature Center and began to stow my gear.  I found this guy on the camera bag.  I was unsure where I had picked up the hitch hiker.  I carry a butterfly tent in my truck, so I put him in and brought him home.  His life depended on my identifying him and getting him the appropriate food.  Caterpillars eat only "host plant" food, usually leaves.  I photographed him using a technique that Dave Fitzsimmons uses to see if I could do it.  I am pretty certain of my ID but I think that it was too late to save his life.  He would have died in the parking lot anyway without his host plant.



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: