Thursday, June 23, 2011

Backgrounds make it better!

Ohio Spiderwort


When I became serious about photography, I was so focused on the subject that I neglected to notice anything else.  I ignored the light and the background. I have been expanding my consciousness while shooting over the years.  This Spiderwort is in the shade and the background is a newly, last summer, blacktopped parking lot.  I was aware, while I shot, of the background and adjusted my camera composition so the parking lot would be behind the flower.  The sun was coming from slightly behind my right shoulder  You may notice that the background does not look like a blacktopped parking lot.  I think the explanation is that the surface has some reflective value and raised the tone of the black to gray.  I think that the blacktop background is a very pleasing addition to the image.

No comments: