Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My beginnings in photography in recent history

Red-winged Blackbird Female
About 12 years ago I received a Barns & Noble gift certificate for Christmas.  With it, I bought Wild Bird Photography by Tim Fitzharris.  I liked it so much that I decided I would like to photograph birds.  I bought a film camera and long lens, all I could afford and set out.  It was great fun!

Tree Swallow
I realized just recently that I am finally starting to realize that dream of photographing birds.  That is how I got started in this phase of my photographic life.  The tree swallow, above, is an exposure challenge.  On even a cloudy day, it requires and exposure compensation from the meter reading of -1 stops.  If I don't make that compensation, I find that the white breast becomes over exposed enough to lose the detail.

Red-shouldered Hawk
I am seeing this hawk, often this year.  Last year I was unaware of any Red-shoulders at Gorman.  I heard them on adjacent properties, though.  He is pretty aware of his surroundings.  It is difficult to "sneak" up on him.  He hears me step on twigs and splash in puddle and flies away.


Song Sparrow
When I started processing the shots of this bird, I realized that I wanted one without the tail crossing the limb.  This was the only one meeting that requirement where he had the correct pose for a good catch-light in the eye.



http://www.larrysimages.com/


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: