Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Big Four Bridge in Sidney, OH

Big Four Bridge
Mother talked about this bridge to us on more than one occasion.  It opened in 1924.   She was sure to tell us that a man is buried in it.  I did not really have a concept or interest in where the railroad went.  I understand that it was originally the Bellefontaine and Indiana Railroad.  It later became the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis.  It is the railroad which was closest to our farm as we grew up.  I crossed it driving my father's tractor to the "elevator."  It went near my Uncle's farm in Logan County.  There was a big iron bridge in Quincy.  I wonder if it is still in service.  I remember visiting the Round House in Bellefontaine as a child.



The Great Miami River passes under the bridge.





Before Interstate 75, US Route 25 was the main north/south highway in that part of the state.  It passed right under the Big Four Bridge.










The bridge is a massive thing.  I was a little surprised to see it still in use.  I noticed concrete chunks in the grass under the bridge.  I think that some renovation has been going on.  Speaking of which, I think that renovation has also occurred at the Pasco bridge.  (no picture of Pasco bridge)


http://www.larrysimages.com/



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: