Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bufflehead Ducks are neither big nor little!

Bufflehead Male Duck

We had a visit from the Bufflehead Ducks recently.  I read from the Audubon Field Guide that they are probably migrating through on their way to Canada.  They are smaller than the Mallard.  The female is even smaller than the male.

Bufflehead Female Duck
They just swam around together for quite a while.  I was interested, not having seen them before.  


Bufflehead Ducks
Probably the most intriguing behavior to me was that they feed by diving under water.  They stay down for quite a while.  I tried to hold my breath while they were down and discovered I needed air by the time they resurfaced.  I was not exerting myself under water, either.  I was able to capture a video of the female feeding.  View the video.  I hope you have better ability to hold your breath than I do.


http://www.larrysimages.com/



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

No comments: