Sunday, February 6, 2011

Limestone

Limestone
Tom Kottyan handed out Geofacts No. 11 at his lecture .  It gives facts about the "rocks and minerals in Ohio and their uses."  I have been meaning to read it and began today by reading about Limestone and Dolomite.  My family likes to vacation near the Lake Erie Islands and we normally visit the quarries if possible.  I know that I have been curious about these locations and wondered about their use.  It appears to be big business.  This little fact sheet helped me understand.  If you have been curious about such things, click on the link above and read the part about Limestone and Dolomite.
Incidentally, if I understand correctly, this is the kind of rock found in caves.  A weak acid, Carbonic Acid, washes through seams and cracks.  The acid reacts with the Limestone, "eating" it away.  After a long time, caves are formed.  I am thinking of Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.  Also, there is a cave named Indian Cave in the southern part of Delaware County, Ohio.  This kind of cave is accompanied by a topography, lay of the land, known as Karst.  It is characterized by rolling land with sinkholes.  

I, for some reason, love caves.  I have all my life.  I remember, in high school, we had study-hall in the lunchroom/library.  I worked diligently to complete my assignments so that I would not have to take homework, which seldom if ever, happened.  If I did complete my homework, I had a favorite book near my table, The Caves Beyond by Joe Lawrence, Jr. and Roger W. Brucker.  It was the story of the Floyd Collins' Crystal Cave Exploration.  The true story happened just a few miles from Mammoth Cave.



http://www.larrysimages.com/


Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: