Monday, June 3, 2013

Exuvia

Slaty Skimmer Exuvia
I learned this word from Dragonflies and Damselflies of Northeast Ohio by Roche, Semroc, Gilbert,  The definition:  Exuviae is a term used in biology to describe the remains of an exoskeleton and related structures that are left after ecdysozoans (including insect, crustacean or arachnid) have moulted.  This is from Dictionary by Farlex.

I found three on May 23rd.  I brought them home to photograph.  This one survived better than the other two.  They are quite delicate and easily damaged in handling.  

I believe that this very well could be the exoskeleton, left behind, of the slaty skimmer.

Slaty Skimmer Exuvia
This is panorama which CS5 easily assembled.  I wanted to shoot another with the camera in the vertical position but the subject was damaged in positioning.  I have been looking for another one but as yet have not found it.

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook 

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: