Monday, November 27, 2017

More on Lighting


Evolution applies extensively in my micro photography.  I read at mindat.org and find that I cannot afford the type of equipment some use.  I got the idea for the setup below there.


Lighting Set
The big problem for me is crystals which strongly reflect the light without detail, over exposed.  I have found another solution which helps a great deal.  I have constructed my pedestal with a spinner on top so that I can move the subject ever so slightly until  the highlights are not objectionable.

The setup above uses a deli container modified for my use.  I do not know what it did the color of my light. The pedestal is 2" in diameter.  I have since changed the disc which holds the subject to 2" in diameter.  I have not used the deli container for some time now.  The soft-boxes make better light.  I have replaced the matt disc with one made of gray card material making it easier to set the white balance.


Neewer CN-LUX360 Front

Neewer CN-LUX360 back
These LED lights use 3 AAA batteries each.  They interlock so you can create a bank of them.  They have a hot-shoe mount built in.  You can even mount the bank on a hot-shoe.

Current Lighting Setup
As mentioned earlier, I have modified the top of the pedestal with a toy spinner so that I can rotate the subject to correct bad reflections, hot spots.

I use one Neewer CN-160, not pictured, and one Neewer CN-LUX360 both with softboxes mounted.


Larry's Images Website has gone away.



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
 

No comments: