Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving



I am thankful to be alive and well enough at this time of year.  I feel the thankfulness in my heart.

In trying to characterize what exemplifies my thankfulness I think back to the farm where I grew up.  I helped my father and family on the farm.  As I find myself slowing down, unable to do what I used to do, I think of Dad farming by himself after Craig and I went off to college.  He died in the fall as the corn harvest was on going.

Harvesting Corn Today.
Dad "picked" corn which is seldom done today.  It was still on the ear and stored in the corn crib until the price was right.  We had lots of rain that last year of his life and got stuck. His picker at the time was an Allis Chalmers WD with John Deere two row picker mounted making it heavier.  He waited for Mom to come home from working in town, (Sidney), to help and they could not get it out.  I think he was sick with failing kidneys and died without finishing the harvest.

I fully understand why we felt so thankful to have the harvesting done in previous years.  We could rest easier afterwards.

Best of wishes to you and yours at this time of year.


Larry's Images Website is going away.



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: