Monday, September 25, 2017

Herkimer Diamond


Herkimer Diamonds

In case you have foregotten a kerkimer diamond is a quartz crystal, hexagonal on the sides and doubly terminated on the ends.  It is not a real diamond though the quartz in many cases looks clear enough to be a diamond.  Quartz is not hard enough to be a diamond.  To the best of my knowledge they are found in and around Herkimer, New York, USA.

Herkimer Diamond

I have tried different ways of photographing them.  This is my favorite way.  I used a soft-box on my led light for this.  I have eliminated what I feared was chromatic aberration around the edges.

Herkimer Diamond with CA removed
I tried to eliminate the CA with different lighting.  I finally succeeded.  I "Photoshopped" it out of this image.

Herkimer Diamond with CA
It is kind of nice to look at but I could not feel peaceful about it until I achieved control over it with a softbox, first photo.





Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.




No comments: