Saturday, November 26, 2016

Variscite

Variscite
Color contrast was the first aspect I noticed on the this sample.  I then noticed that it was pricey and the question, "Why?", came to mind.  Thankfully, it was identified for me.

Variscite
It was a tiny sample.  I looked it up and discovered that it was RARE for three reasons.

One, it is a rare mineral: aluminium phosphate mineral (AlPO4·2H2O

Two, it is seldom found in crystals like this one.  It usually occurs as a fine grained mineral.

Three, it is almost always green.  I found a few rare green crystals in this sample.

Variscite, Green Crystals
I found a few rare green crystals in this sample.

Variscite, Clear Crystals
Variscite can be clear to translucent but I don't know how to identify these clear crystals.

Variscite is popular as a gem.


Larry's Images and Aerial


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: