Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Periodical Cicada


Periodical Cicada
This is the year!  I am seeing many at Gorman.  They lived underground feeding on the fluids from trees for 17 years.  At the appointed time they burrow to the surface as a mature larva.

17-year Cicada Exit Holes
 There are several pictured.

Periodical Cicada Mature Larva
I found this one walking across a path on a rainy day.  I am hoping for a timelapse of the molt.  I am at two weeks and counting as I write.

Periodical Cicada Teneral After Molt
It is hard to believe that such a large insect could climb out of such a small exoskeleton but they do.

Periodical Cicada

I doubt they will win any beauty contests during their visit but they have a nice sound.  (Look at the bottom of the page)



Larry's Images and Aerial



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: