Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cutting Conditioning Hay

Cutting Conditioning Hay
I became aware of conditioning hay as a child.  My father cut hay with a sickle mower.  It would take 3 to 4 days for the hay to cure, aka dry.  It had to be dry because it would spontaneously combust if it was not.  Many barn fires were caused by this anomaly.  Losing your barn to a fire was an extremely bad thing to farmer.

We heard of a hay conditioner which would cause hay to cure in two days.  Dad tried one and it worked as advertised.  To my knowledge, he did not purchase one.

Today, they have built the conditioner into the same unit with mower.  The whole process happens in one pass.  I saw Kieth have to wait until the third day once when we had cool and cloudy weather for two days.  I have produced a video about this process.


Larry's Images



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: