Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sigma 180mm f/2.8 Macro Lens

Sigma 180mm f/2.8 Macro Lens
I have been wishing Sigma would make 70-300mm, f/2.8 macro lens but if they did, I could not afford it.  I decided to try out this lens, instead.

I really got used to being able to zoom from 200 to 300 on the other lens in macro mode.  I was unsure whether I could duplicate the reaching power with this lens.  The other lens with the 1.4x teleconverter was 448 to 672 mm factoring in for camera APS-C sensor and the 1.4x teleconverter.  The 180mm prime is 576 mm with the 2x converter and APS-C sensor, a large amount shorter.  I was afraid it would not be enough.  I feel now, after testing that it is.  My knowledge of the behavior of the insects helps me obtain the frame filling shots I am after.

The other day I was shooting and there was a branch sticking up in front of me.  It would have been perfect but the insects would not land on it.  I decided that I was just a bit too close for their comfort.  I moved backward just about 12 inches and like a miracle, they began perching there.  They were actually driving each other off it.

Sigma 180mm f/2.8 Macro Lens
 I like the tripod mount on the lens.  The rig is well balanced and much easier for me to handle as I use it.  I had to modify my flash mounting system for it.

I calibrated the auto focus with LensAlign even though I don't use auto focus for insects.  I wanted to take a look at the sharpness of it using the LensAlign Target.  It was quite sharp.

I haven't look extensively, but I have found myself wishing that I had a circular polarizer for it.  So far the largest I have found is 77mm not large enough for the 86mm threads on the lens.

The brighter view makes it possible for me to hit focus more often.  It makes me more productive.  I like this lens!

Larry's Images

Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

 

No comments: