Saturday, December 8, 2012

Annie Leibovitz Show at Wexner Center

My friend, Jim Brooks, suggested that we visit the Wexner Center on the campus of The Ohio State University to view Annie Leibovitz's show.  We finally did it the other day.  It runs until Dec. 30, 2012 in case you have not seen it.

The following are some of my thoughts after the experience.  I must have lived a very sheltered life.  I have not had enough life experiences to make me able to relate to much of Annie's photography.  I did not read the paper growing up.  I still don't.  We had Look Magazine or Life I don't remember which in our home.  I mainly looked at the pictures.  I read Mechanics Illustrated at my uncle's house which has nothing to do with Annie that I know.  I think that part of the reason for my lack of experiences has been my tunnel vision.  I am obsessive, usually think about one thing at a time.  I have come to the conclusion that life is not long enough to learn everything or even close to it.   

I thought that I would appreciate the renowned photographer's work based on my limited knowledge of photography.  I was in error when I thought that.  I found that I could relate to only some of her work.  

Niagara Falls by Annie Leibovitz
This is the one that I appreciated the most.  This was done in 2009.  I have been there and photographed the falls myself.  It is a beautiful place!

Pigeon Studied by Charles Darwin by Annie Leibovitz

I have photographed bird skeletons.  I thought this composition rather crowded but the Natural History Museum at Tring, Hertfordshire, England probably would not allow the bones moved.  If I saw this print at the Wexner, I hardly remember it.  It occupied a prominent place in the program
 
Richard Nixon Leaving White House After Resignation 1974
This one really spoke to me.  I was having my idealism crushed by the events preceding this image.  I think it is a salient representation of the way I, and probably many other Americans felt through that whole thing  I have no idea if this image was preplanned or just a happenstance.  Either way it was iconic.

Rolling Stone Fans, Cleveland Ohio
The Rolling Stones and Rolling Stone Magazine were neither large in my consciousness.  I don't remember even any interest in seeing the group or reading the magazine.  We did not study it in Music History.  I knew a music teacher, a colleague, who decorated the walls of his general music classroom with Rolling Stone covers.  
 
I should probably mention that I did not read or see Vogue or Vanity Fair.  I might have seen them at the Grocery.  I remember the controversy surrounding Demi Moore's pregnant image. 
 
I think that I come away from my visit to Wexner with a sense that I have nearly touched greatness in viewing Annie's work.  I am sure that my thoughts and memories will have been forever altered. 
 
http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.

Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
 

No comments: