Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Red-winged Blackbird

Male Red-winged Blackbird
Yes, the Red-winged Blackbirds have been back a few weeks.  Their sounds are welcome to me.  I remember walking the trails in the winter wishing to hear their sounds and now I can.  The male stakes out his territory and tries to get as many females as possible to nest there.  He is very defensive about intrusion.

Female Red-winged Blackbird
They reused nests from the previous year.  They are so protective of the nest that I can tell when I am close to one by noting the bird's behavior.  I stayed away from the nests until I saw a naturalist go near one and invite others to look.  I then captured the shot below of the blue eggs.

Red-winged Blackbird Eggs
These birds have been know to attack people.  They have flown near my head but never touched me.  I usually hear in the news, each season, that someone has been attacked somewhere.


http://www.larrysimages.com/



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook


Feed 


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: