Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Obsidian

Obsidian
What a treasure, that  box of rocks from the Lithic & Lapidary Society!  I found this obsidian in it.  Obsidian, aka volcano glass, is formed when lava cools quickly, not crystallizing, and forms glass.  It is usually black but can have streaks and spots in it.  I has a certain translucency to it.  This was one of my first efforts to photograph this piece of rock.  I soon decided that I could do better.

Obsidian
This shot showed the translucency well but was lacking in the area of showing surface detail.  I decided that I wanted both.

Obsidian
This is the shot I liked.  I thought that I made the ultimate capture.  It did not loose all the translucency and still shows the surface detail.

Setup
This is the setup that I used.  I discovered, when charging batteries, that the top flash was set on the wrong channel and did not flash.  At least I think that was the one.  I should have "read" it as I looked at the image shot, that I only had two flashing.  I think that the next step will be to set it up again and try it with the setup shown with all working.  I may do the other side of the rock and then video it.

I liked the last one, number three above, the best.  I thought I had captured the ultimate image.  I used Helicon Focus to create it.  I still like it a lot but now I wonder if I can do better, yet.  Time will tell.

http://www.larrysimages.com/


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook

Feed 

If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.



No comments: