Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sassafras Redo

Sassafras Fruit
Sassafras fruits are eaten by many species of birds including Bobwhite Quail ,Eastern King-bird, Great Crested Flycatchers, Phoebes, Wild Turkeys, Gray Catbirds, Northern Flickers, Pileated Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, thrushes, vireos, and Northern Mockingbirds.  This is a according to Wikipedia.  I understand that the fruit is not recommended for human consumption.  I love to drink sassafras tea made from steeping the roots in boiled water.  The old farmers recommended drinking it in the spring to thin the blood after a long winter.

I saw this shot the other day when the light on it was mottled and highlighted the fruit.  I did not succeed in capturing it.  This is the redo.  The light is never the same.  I used a circular polarizing filter to cut down the sky reflecting off the leaves and flash to get more light back on the fruit and red stems.  I think that the one with mottled light would have been better.  Maybe next time.  I like the colors.  I think they unify it.  The lines of the leaves and fruit draws my eye into the fruit.

No comments: