Monday, August 30, 2010

A new bird to my collection!

I heard this call the other day.  I am learning that the sounds in nature are as important as what you see.  I thought that it sounded close so I began looking for the bird.  I did not think to turn on my recorder while I looked.  I found the bird and was able to obtain a successful shot or two.  By then the bird was feeling uncomfortable and had moved further away.  I then turned on my recorder but the bird was a little out of range.  I borrowed a recording form http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/songwav.html so that you could hear the Rufous-sided Towhee.  The "birders" tell me they usually hear a bird and identify it by sound even though they don't always see the bird.

I used a Sigma 50-500 mm lens hand-held for this shot.  The ISO was set to 1600.  The camera chose 1/750 at f/9.5.

No comments: