Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rocks from outer space?

Tektite

I was initially attracted to this rock because of the round white part.  I was curious about what it might be and also thought that it would provide interest in a photograph.  This rock came from a bag of scraps purchased from Pam.  I intended to photograph them before putting them into the tumbler but forgot and ran this through the first stage of the tumbling process.  The edges have started to smooth off and the softer white material has worn away.  I will not continue tumbling this one.

Tektite
After making the the first image, I had to name it for my database.  I immediately noticed the outward skin on it.  I did not see it initially because tonally it is a low contrast element.  It looks like it might have been melted.  I found a picture in one of my ID guides which closely resembled this skin.  I read that originally they were thought to be meteorites but now we are not so sure about that.  I understand that it is currently thought that they could be volcanic in origin.


http://www.larrysimages.com



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: