Thursday, December 23, 2010

Macro Panorama

rock unknown
I photographed this rock recently.  I was, of course, doing a closeup.  The camera was a little too close and I was lazy.  Instead of moving it back and recomposing, I just rotated the camera on the tripod and stitched the images together in Photoshop.  I was remarkably pleased with the result.  The only thing that really gave me pause about it was the pattern in the background material not lining up perfectly. 

This morning I decided to see if I could use a pano head to shoot a closeup.  I have recently received a King Panohead from Bill King.  I had ordered it at the end of last February but because of a death in the family, Bill could not deliver it until just recently.  I wanted to try it.  I set it up and then rotated the camera down with the head so that I was rotating it at the nodal point of the Sigma 105mm macro lens.

Pano macro setup
I shot the macro pano with four parts.  The previous shot included only two.  I processed the four images and stitched them together in Photoshop.  The fabric pattern lined up and also the rock looked seamless, see below.  I was really excited that this worked.  I think that I will be able to think of other ways to apply this technique.  I have an image with about twice the pixels so that I will be able to make a big print from it.

Rock Unknown macro pano
  I think that I will try printing it on luster canvas paper and do a museum wrap with it.

http://www.larrysimages.com/



Blog



feed:  http://www.larryatlarrysimages.com.blogspot.com/atom.xml


If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: