Friday, January 19, 2018

Pyrochlore





Pyrochlore
Wikipedia says that these crystals occur as Octahedra.  As you can see this sample does not conform.  It comes to us from Myeba, Kenya, Africa.

Being smaller than I remembered it is about 1/8" across.  I am still trying to wrap my mind around this being a crystal.  I find myself thinking a crystal is at least opac to at most clear or prismatic.

Pyrochlore
Wikipedia says that it has a "diverse technological applications like in luminescence, ionic conductivity, nuclear waste immobilization, high temperature thermal barrier coatings, automobile exhaust gas control, catalysts, solid oxide fuel cell, ionic/electric conductors...


Pyrochlore
Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to leleicher45@gmail.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.


No comments: