Sunday, January 21, 2018

Metric Scale



Metric Scale
I had a scale from my days in the machine shop which was imperial.  The folks at mindat.org didn't like to make the conversion.  I decided that I might as well purchase a metric scale since camera and lens sizes are metric.  It would simplify everything.  I purchased one that was graduated in 1/2 mm increments.  

In order to provide the viewer field size and magnification on the sensor data I found that I must photograph the scale each time I made a capture.  OR, I could set my macro/micro lens to its shortest focus, adjust the focus with the focusing rail.  I record FOV captures for each setup and record it so that if I start with certain setup I know what the FOV and magnification as long as I start with Sigma 105mm set at its closest focus.  I've also found that recording the WD, working distance, aids my set up, composition, etc., making it quicker and easier.  Again, I do this with the micro lens set on closest setting.  I am planning to share the above data soon.

One other "trick" I have learned I may have mentioned before.  I can shine my flashlight into the viewfinder and it travels backward through the camera showing where it is aimed.


Follow Larry's Images on Facebook.  
If you wish to unsubscribe, email to leleicher45@gmail.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: