Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Jim Brooks


My friend Jim Brooks died at home January 9, 2018.


Jim Brooks (AKA William James Brooks)
I met Jim during July of 1985.  I was thinking of getting into bicycling and Jim was already in it, having been riding to work for a couple years.  I had ridden about 30 miles in one sitting prior to our meeting but he told me was riding 100 miles at time.  He encouraged me to get into it.  At the time he told me about a ride called Tour of the Scioto River Valley, TSRV.  It occurred on Mother's Day each year.  I rode it the following May, Mother's Day.

We got together to "train" for it.  I would go to Mt. Vernon and he would take me for a ride, then  he would come to Mansfield and I would take him out to ride.

Jim Brooks
Jim was so into bicycling that he had a vanity plate PDLPWR.

Jim liked other things like canoeing.  They have the Kokosing River in Mt. Vernon.  Jim used to take me in his canoe for rides.

Jim Brooks with his canoe
Kokosing River
I sincerely enjoyed the ride and attending sights.

Great Blue Heron
River View of Barns

Jim with the National Champion Sycamore
I found this tree difficult to photograph.  It was so big that when I got back to get it in the picture it got lost in the background.  I invited Jim to go see it with me and his presence was the answer to my compositional quandary.  

Jim with the National Champion Sycamore
Jim on his ICE Trike
Jim's balance became questionable in later years so he got an ICE Trike and liked it a lot.  The above picture was captured on the Kenyon College Campus in Gambier, just up the Kokosing Gap Trail from Jim's house.  We went there multiple times for lunch.

Jim with College Students

This has gone on too long.  I could mention Great Ohio Bicyling Adventure, Columbus Fall Challenge, girlfriends before Carol, We were friends for 32 years.

I'm sure he had disappointments with our relationship and so did I.  Overall, Jim, it was a great ride.  Thanks for it all.

No comments: