Monday, July 10, 2017

The Tools Of The Macro Photograpy Trade

Macro Focusing Rail
My little niche if I have one is "Macro Photography on the Cheap."  There is much to explain in that sentence.  For the purposes of this discussion, I will define Macro Photography as close up photography up to 1X.  1X means that the subject is life size on the sensor.  I find it extremely fun to this in the field.  There is much to see using it.

The other word, "cheap" is probably a misnomer.  If you are rich, which I am not, it is cheap, the way I do it because I don't have a lot of money to throw at it.  Macro lenses, true ones, get you down to 1X.  I have two and they both are 1X at the closest focusing point.  I have another lens, billed as a macro lens but it is not a true macro lens because it goes only to 1/2X at it closest focusing point.  It has proved to be a versatile lens and useful too.

The macro focusing rail comes in like this:  You mount it on your tripod and your camera on top.  You set your macro lens at its closest focusing point.  You use the knobs to adjust how close or far the lens is to the subject.  If you get it in focus at the closest focusing point on the lens you are at 1X.  It has proved very handy for me over the years.

Larry's Images and Aerial



Follow Larry's Images on Facebook



If you wish to unsubscribe, email to larry@larrysimages.com with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: